Are you a Character FX Supervisor who has a high level of production experience, plus experience in developing and testing tools and/or pipeline methodologies pertaining to character FX for film?
The role requires a high degree of co-operation with the Animation Supervisor and VFX Supervisor to determine the creative vision for characters within the film.
The Character FX Supervisor must also maintain a strong relationship with character FX TD’s and R&D Department leads which manage the development, release and testing of toolsets for the character FX department.
You will also be expected to manage team leads, providing them with clear briefs, targets and support, along with the production supervisor, so that they can in turn manage the creative artists to meet their goals.
What you’ll get to do:
- Work closely with the Art Director, Production designer, and Animation and FX Department Supervisors to assess technical implications of creative briefs.
- Clearly understanding the creative requirements of a sequence and develop or lead the development of technical solutions that will enable these requirements to be met.
- Offer constant technical leadership to all members of the Character FX team.
- Assist with the development of prototypes/examples that clearly demonstrate the creative requirements of the production then assist in the development and dissemination of workflows based on these examples.
- Attend all Character FX and animation reviews to offer feedback and technical solutions to problems.
- Contribute technical feedback in reviews and to artists directly as required.
- Mentor and advise character FX artists and leads in technical aspects of their role.
- Work with the other character FX leads to develop a common approach to character requirements including both tools and procedures.
- Clearly articulate character FX requirements to the FX Department Supervisor and the Animation Dept. Supervisor, FX/Character Software TD’s, and Supervising Software TDs to enable them to develop tools to support the agreed approach.
- Identify areas of inefficiency within the groups’ workflow and work with the Character FX department supervisor to rectify.
- Identify and contribute to group and department pipeline updates.
- Work closely with the other department Leads to ensure that dept. workflows and results are of the highest standard.
- Work with leads to develop common practices within the group; ensure that these work well with other groups.
- Spec out tools and character FX team requirements and work closely with the Animation Department.
- Supervise Software TD’s to build tools that speed up the groups workflow.
- Review assets leaving the group and give detailed, specific, feedback to Artists/TD’s where assets are not creatively ready for distribution.
- Working with Production to prioritise task and flag any issues in potentially going over schedule.
What you bring:
- At least 5 or more years CG production experience in a Lead or Supervisor capacity.
- Expert level of understanding of Houdini.
- Experience with cloth, fur and feather tools.
- Strong scripting and/or programming experience.
- Muscle and skin simulation experience a plus.
- Proven ability in high end FX & character FX work.
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality.
- Must be able to work with and manage a wide range of personality types within a team.
- Must possess strong communication skills and be able to efficiently organise and prioritise the work of a team across multiple both technically and creatively.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Exceptional and proven project management and organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise and multi-task.
- Proven experience in managing large teams of people.
Due to security reasons please do not include any links to Dropbox or Google Docs.
For more information about Working Holiday Visas and company sponsored visas please go to our FAQ page.