Short term position, 5 – 6 weeks, July/August
Are you a creative layout artist, with a broader generalist skill set, who can help realise a director’s brief and cinematic vision? If so, this could be the role for you!
What you’ll get to do:
- Translate storyboards into CG sequences including character performance and camera lensing.
- Work with tracked cameras and plates to add CG characters and assets.
- Insure the cinematic style and layout animation is consistent with the Layout Supervisor’s and Director’s vision.
- Incorporate posed and rough animated elements to guide framing and story.
- Clearly understand the creative requirements of a sequence and deliver these creative goals in a timely manner and to the highest standard.
- Provide the technical set-up of shots to departments further down the production pipeline (e.g. Animation).
- Work within a team of layout artists under the supervision of a Layout Lead.
What you bring:
- 5+ years’ experience working in CG on feature animation, VFX projects or TV Series.
- 5+ years’ experience being part of layout and/or previs team
- Previous experience working with large digital feature film production pipelines.
- Working knowledge and understanding of 3D software packages used in digital film production, in particular Maya.
- Working knowledge and understanding of layout/previs techniques such as staging and framing rules.
- Working knowledge of camera animation and scene set-up.
- Cinematography knowledge and understanding of story and scene layout.
- Knowledge of traditional camera techniques and the principles of translating storyboards to 3D.
- Excellent visual communication skills including but not limited to drawing.
- Ability to produce high-level camera work with an in-depth knowledge of framing, composition and cinematography.
- An understanding of editing and ability to ensure continuity over a sequence of shots and the film.
- Recognised post-secondary qualification in animation, film or related field is preferable.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and problem solve.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- A willingness to learn, and contribute to the success of the team and the project.
- Excellent organizational and verbal communication skills.
And you might also have:
While not essential, some, or a combination of, the following skill set would be beneficial:
- Camera Tracking
- Char FX
What you need to include in your application:
- A strong reel that shows examples of work done in a 3D computer generated environment. Where possible a storyboard animatic, followed by layout and then through to final finished sequences.
As this is a short term contract, we encourage people who are immediately able to work in Australia to apply.
Due to security reasons please do not include any links to Dropbox or Google Docs.